PRIMARY DETAIL. Salary Package: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Level A step 6-8) from $95,706 to $102,570 per annum or (Level B) from $108,111 to $127,913 per annum, plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading
. Appointment Type: Full-time, Fixed term for 1.5 years
. Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
An exciting opportunity to join the MQ Photonics Research Centre and the Department of Physics and Astronomy within the Faculty of Science and Engineering at Macquarie University. We are looking for an enthusiastic researcher with expertise in photonics and optics to contribute to the emerging areas of quantum sources and ultra-narrow linewidth lasers.
The MQ Photonics Research Centre brings together approximately 40 academics researching in areas as diverse as nonlinear optics, quantum photonics and astrophotonics. The Centre has a major focus in the area of diamond lasers and novel photonic sources funded by a mix of government and industry sources.
The Diamond Laser Group is investigating advanced concepts aimed to address challenges in laser and light sources for applications in quantum cryptography, space environmental management, and in advanced tracking and sensing applications. Many of the projects are aimed to explore diverse and extreme phenomena provided by the recent advances in diamond synthesis and its outstanding nonlinear optical properties.
The Centre offers a mentoring programs for early career researchers while providing opportunities to hone other skills such as outreach, industry engagement, and building international networks. It promotes diversity in all aspects as a way to enhance innovation, outcomes and productivity. Along with other initiatives, the University provides grants to support our members with caring / family responsibilities to participate in professional activities. The Department of Physics and Astronomy is a member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Athena SWAN Program to support gender equity and diversity (Bronze medal status).
The position offered will enable the appoint to interact with Centre and university staff, industry partners and collaborators across Australian and international partners. It will enable the appointee to undertake outstanding research in basic and applied science in the areas of optics and photonics, and with an added focus on industry applications. Opportunities to participate in and present at research seminars and conferences, publish research, HDR student supervision and promote research outcomes to the wider community. Opportunities to apply for joint or stand-alone fellowship funding will be encouraged.
To be considered for this position, please apply online and attach your CV and a separate cover letter (1-2 pages) that outlines how you meet the selection criteria below.
- Ability to undertake original research, as evidenced by impactful and high quality outputs.
- Ability to foster a nurturing environment for research students including the provision of research student supervision.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability for analytical thinking and independent problem solving.
- A PhD or master degree in physics or a related discipline.
- Experience in laser and optics research.
- Experience in tabletop optical experiments.
- Experience in nonlinear optical processes such as stimulated scattering, experiment and modelling.
- Experience in coherent source characterization and development for applications.
- Experience in feedback systems and device design for wavelength stabilization.
- Experience in experiments in quantum optics such as single photon sources and quantum random sources.
Given current Australian Government COVID-19 border restrictions applications for this position are only being accepted from Australian citizens or permanent residents or people currently residing in Australia with full working rights.
Enquiries: Professor Richard Mildren at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: 04/04/2021 11:59 PM