STEM leaders forge path to stronger Australian science and technology
Presidents, CEOs and other leaders of Australia’s most prominent science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) organisations gathered in Canberra today (1 May) to highlight the important role that science and technology will play in Australia’s future.
They released the following statement:
Collectively representing more than 70,000 Australian scientists and technologists through our membership and staff, we call for science to be a priority platform for the major parties’ campaigns in the next federal election.
Science and technology will shape our future, but without adequate support and high profile, Australian science, innovation and discovery will fall by the wayside.
There are four areas of focus we call on decision-makers and candidates to address when Australians are called to vote at the next election:
- A whole-of-government plan for science and technology
- A strategy to equip the future Australian workforce with STEM skills
- Strong investment in both basic and applied research
- Creating policy informed by the best available evidence
Specific issues to be addressed include:
- A thorough and thoughtful response to the R&D Tax Incentive review, that achieves a system that boosts public-private collaboration and accentuates Australia’s scientific and technological strengths
- A clear and long-term plan to support Australia’s research infrastructure, informed by the National Research Infrastructure Roadmap
- A bold and ambitious national target for scientific and technological research investment, which puts Australia in a position to lead the world in STEM.
- Action to remove barriers (such as caps and limits) that stand in the way of Australians participating and excelling in STEM education
A government that uses science to inform and underpin its decisions will lead Australia to a brighter future.
A government that directly invests in discovery-led, basic research will unlock the solutions of the future.
A government that fosters and rewards innovation and entrepreneurship will secure Australia’s economic success.
A government that leads from the front, inspiring the private sector to invest in science and technology, will help Australia achieve a stable and prosperous future.
We, the nation’s science and technology leaders, will work hard to ensure that the health, wealth and wellbeing of all Australians are secured for many generations to come.
Working in the solutions sector, the thousands of STEM professionals in Australia will work to tackle the great challenges facing the world, and solve them with science.
In striving towards this bold vision, we ask for the support of Australians, Australian governments and candidates in future federal elections.
The Science & Technology Australia membership supports this statement, including the following organisations: